This blog contains information that is adult in nature. If you are underage please leave at once.


Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A decade

Nearly a decade has passed since I entered rehab the last time. I still attend Narcotic Anonymous  meetings, although not regularly, until recently. I stand up and tell my story of drug addiction. I have hurt myself, my body, but more than that I hurt people who knew me, trusted me and for some reason that I often cannot easily grasp continued to believe in me. Being type 1 diabetic and drug addict was not a good combination, at 39 I suffered a heart attack, triggered by a combination of cocaine and MDMA, commonly known as "Molly" or "Ecstasy." I "rolled" into hospital. I was lucky to have survived.

Without dredging up all my sordid details, we will simply say that I had a big problem. Oddly, when I was doing coke, I never mixed alcohol, so I can still drink but not a lot nor often for the diabetic reason. Alcohol upsets my blood sugar balance and the older I become, the less eager I am to die. I take care of myself, eat right, get exercise, and I am still an addict, albeit a recovering one.

For years I had not considered in a fully formed way to use again. While my lady was hospitalized, the thought never once entered my mind. My only focus was on her. When she woke, again, no such thoughts entered my mind. My brother never once asked. I remain astutely confident he wanted to.

When Mouse came home from hospital, with pain medication, I will admit the temptation began, but I knew she needed them. I still did not consider it, until the crisis seemed to have passed.

After returning to work, I returned to NA meetings. The strain of it all (her illness and recovery) challenged my resolve. Mouse caught me looking at the bottle of pills one morning, they were sitting on the counter, beside the antibiotic and I was a bit lost in a recurring thought. They gave her 10 Vicodin and she took three or four. Mentally, I was going through the ideas of how to use whatever was left, Vicodin on its own is rather mild, but the high is decent if you snort them, something I had done before following knee surgery that sent me back into rehab the last time. It had slipped my mind to tell my surgeon I was a recovering addict and they prescribed Oxycodone and Vicodin following a knee replacement surgery.

When Mouse uncovered the truth she did give an ultimatum, "Get your shit together or get the fuck out." When truly frustrated and disappointed, my lady rarely minces her words.

That morning these were thoughts I could not stop. When I returned home from work that day, the pills had vanished. She gave them to Lucy, as she did not want them in the house anymore. It was not that she did not trust me, she said, but we both knew that was a lie.

I told her that I would be back in a couple hours and went to a meeting, my second of the day. I can only imagine what she thought or was thinking. I told her when I got home but she wanted to know why I had not told her before I left.

She knew. Sure, I made the right choice, I did not act out, but the thought was there, and we both knew it. I had driven around deciding if I wanted to use or if I would just ramble into a meeting. I wish the decision were an easier one. I decided then to reenter therapy, and continue with the meetings.

Allow me to reintroduce myself, "Hello, my name is "Omega" and I am an addict."


18 comments:

mouse said...

Master,

(going to first person, because it's easier to organize the thoughts and also it's important to say it this way)

We've been, really been, in deep in discussion about our past, there's lots of things that we've said to each other, but you've never really ever let me down, you've always stepped up and did the right thing, even if it wasn't right away. It is a bit ironic for us that we both feel very strongly that we've let the other down. I have let you down so many times and shattered your dreams once. If we are keeping score then we're totally even.

This had to be difficult to be difficult to admit and write about but I need to make something very clear to you and others now who might read this. I have always trusted you. I trusted you that day, I knew you wouldn't go there. I have faith in you and believe in you too. You aren't the same man that you were then. I'm proud of you for seeing what you need to do so clearly. Returning to therapy is a huge step and the meetings, I can tell they help you.

Finally, I didn't carry this big secret of yours, like it was a burden, I carried this silently because it just wasn't my secret to tell. It was always up to you if you wanted to share it. You shared a little, a tiny part of it, but never the whole truth. I was fine with that. I love you.

I love you so much.

Omega said...

Thank you


Jz said...

Damned demons.
You get them wrestled into quiescence, they hibernate, life goes on, we get cocky... and BAM!
It's a heck of a cycle but you know what to do, and you're doing it.
You haven't failed, it's the nature of the beast.
(Just as it's the nature of the mouse to try to keep your home tranquil, not torturous. That's not a lack of trust, it's caring.)

Anyhow, I've dusted off my pom-poms and am waving them for you. ;-)

Omega said...

Thank you Jz.

I appreciated what you wrote.

O

Roz said...

Hi Omega,

This must have been difficult for you to share, thank you for doing so. I hope it has helped in some way.

You have battled the demons and continue to do so. Good on you for making the right choice and going to therapy and meetings. You got this!

Hugs
Roz

Charlie said...

As I am used to a moderator role, that tone seems to fit after reading your post and the lady's response. Given that, I will respond in that voice.

Ma'am, do not think of this as having "kept a secret" but rather another of the many ways you honor and show love for him. You both protect the other to protect the relationship. Stopping short and going another step is wiser than going to far when in doubt.

Sir, congratulations on choosing correctly. From a point in your future, I can tell you that it never totally goes away. But, each time you win over temptation you have another moment to look back on with pride. Thank you for still doing the best thing for yourself, the lady who loves you and those who go "ewww..." as you hold her hand at the table.

Both of you should always be ready to keep doing as you have done be it, carrying a very sick girl to health with soup long ago or plainly giving an ultimatum in the best interest of the one you love so recently. Good luck as you both heal. Remember, the end goal is watching the sunset hand in hand decades from now.

Anonymous said...

SIR Thank you for sharing. You have helped many people by doing so. This makes you a very smart father, husband, and a sexy dom!(at 67yr will say anything I want) I can understand alittle-4 back surgeries with oxy/morphine combo and a type2. Thoughts and prays are with you and your family. Andi

Omega said...

Roz, Charlie and Andi,

Thank you for reading and understanding.

Roz, a special thanks for the "you got this" part, although I am not certain I do.

Charlie, thank you also for reminder that it never really leaves you and the truth that each time you do succeed is an opportunity to be proud of that accomplishment. Also, you and Jz were apt to point out that mouse only wishes to lighten my own burdens, something I had not considered when writing out my confession.

Andi, the prayers are greatly appreciated. Maybe you are correct that someone else suffering might gain some solace in my story.

I am also humbled by the words offered by my lady, mouse. I needed to hear that more than she could realize and more than I could place into words after reading them.

Thank you all,
Omega

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir and Mouse,

I've had the pleasure of reading this blog for several years, and I have to say I was completely taken aback by this confession. I would never have guessed, and it's so true, the demons lie waiting for you, but I can see you both are quite able to outwit those nasty things.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers, wishing you peace, light and healing, today and always.

Fleur41

Omega said...

Thank you, Fleur41, all sentiments are appreciated.

O

JAY said...

dear Omega,

this must have been a hard post to write but hopefully also a freeing one. as someone who knows several people in recovery, that have fallen out of recovery, that have had rocky recoveries, and those who refuse recovery I know the spectrum all too well. but what I also know is that you have to want recovery like anything else in life really. driving around contemplating for me shows a desire to stay the path because it's far too easy to not give it a second thought and proceed, then to weigh your options and show up for yourself and your loved ones. So like the sentiments above you should be proud because it is a fight that never completely ceases and you have someone in your corner to help ease your burdens and help you through. wishing you all the strength during this time.

Omega said...

Thank you Jay,

My last trip to rehab was actually my third. The hardest part for me was to admit I was an addict. Addicts were someone else and not me.

I knew I had a problem but I did not want to believe that dependence was my issue.

Omega

The Elegant Nest said...

Omega,

Addiction is a demon that just lies in wait. You have so much to be strong for and I am glad that "Mouse" is not a mouse when it comes to the health and safety of her family. You have obviously gained some wisdom over the years to know what needed to be done even though it is not easy. Be proud that you did the right thing, you have children, a wife and good life. Stay strong. My thoughts are with you and mouse and I truly wish you the best.

Mignon

Omega said...

Thank you Mignon.

Anonymous said...

Omega and Mouse,

I’ve read for a few years and just caught up on your recent scare!

Mouse, I’m so incredibly glad you are ok.

I just needed to say the fierce love, respect and devotion you both have for one another shines through.

Omega, congratulations on being brave to seek help and support. The greatest strength is facing a weakness and overcoming it.
You are stronger for seeing how this scare has impacted you, you are even stronger for getting the support. It takes great bravery to reach out.

May things settle down for you both.

Omega said...

Anonymous Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You did it again. You shocked me.This was some of shit shit we've been through before. Make sure "Mouse" has a plan to deal with you if you should ever fail, I don't think you will, but you've always been big on "the plans."

Don't lose my number and make sure mouse knows it too.

Like I said before, don't be so hard yourself. You have always been your worst enemy.

Pete

Omega said...

Duly noted Pete.

Not certain about the worst enemy part, but the plan, yes I will speak to Mouse about that.

I just better not get a bill for this shoddy advice.

Be well much older friend and let me know the next time you are in town, I know my lady would love to see you again.